Two women are dead and another was hospitalized after an apparent carbon monoxide leak in a West Rogers Park building.
Paramedics were first called about 10:30 a.m. to the building, which is in the 2500 block of West North Shore Avenue, to transport one woman to the hospital.
The woman was taken in cardiac arrest to Swedish Covenant Hospital, Ahlheim said.
Fire officials at the scene called for a second ambulance, and a second woman was taken to Swedish Covenant as well.
Once paramedics became aware of the second victim, fire officials checked the building's carbon monoxide levels but found no indication of a leak.
Paramedics were called back to the scene, however, about 3:45 p.m., for another woman found unresponsive. The woman was taken to St. Francis Hospital in Evanston in critical condition.
Officials checked carbon monoxide level again, and while the meter readings in residential units showed no exposure, officials found a positive reading for a low level of carbon monoxide near a boiler in the basement