A sixth man was charged Sunday in connection with the September mass shooting in Chicago's Cornell Square Park that left 13 people wounded, including a 3-year-old.
Darren Curtis, 28, of the 5700 block of South Wolcott Avenue, was charged
with three counts of attempted murder and three counts of aggravated battery
with a firearm, police
Curtis drove the other shooters and admitted his role in the attack.
He was arrested at his home Friday. Curtis' criminal record includes a 2004
conviction for felony aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.
Five other men have appeared in court on charges related to the Sept. 19
South Side attack.
The shooting happened about 10:15 p.m. when, authorities said, two men armed
with an assault rifle and a .22-caliber handgun fired indiscriminately into a
crowd at the Back of the Yards neighborhood park in the 1800 block of West 51st
The 3-year-old, Deonta Howard, was playing on the basketball court when a
bullet struck him near the ear and exited through his cheek. Doctors have said
Deonta did not suffer brain damage but will require plastic surgery.
Four other men — Bryon Champ, 21, Kewane Gatewood, 20, Tabari Young, 22, and
Brad Jett, 22 — have been charged with attempted murder and aggravated battery
with a firearm.
A fifth suspect, David Logan, 22, of the 3100 block of South Green Street,
was charged with unlawful use of a weapon and obstructing justice.
According to police, Champ and Young, one armed with the assault rifle and
the other with the handgun, opened fire at the crowded park that they considered
the turf of a rival gang. Police said Champ was looking for revenge after he was
grazed by a bullet earlier that day.